"I myself have twelve hats and each one represents a different personailty" ~ Margaret Atwood

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Henry visits his Scottish roots.

This week I decided it was time to face my fears and make a Fair Isle patterned hat.  Since it was my first real attempt, I decided to go with something simple with only 2 alternating colours.  Although I'm sure I could have easily found a pattern for a fair isle baby hat, I decided to design this one myself.  I started by charting the pattern
 It took a little longer than planned, I probably spent one whole evening just charting it all out, but I didn't want to chance just winging it.

The next challenge was keeping even tension on 2 strands the whole time:
 So far so good!  In the next picture you can see the pattern starting to evolve:
 Just prior to casting off:
Once all that was done, I really ought to have blocked it, but I really hate blocking and it fit Henry ok the size it was.  I don't really mind the wrinkles it has all that much.

And now what you've all been waiting for, Henry in his hat!


Such a serious little man!  Hard to believe he's not quite 4 months yet, he looks so grown up here!

I must say, Fair Isle was a lot less difficult than I expected.  In light of my new skills, I am now also making Fiddlehead Mittens which are turning out awesome so far!  I'll include a picture of the finished product next week.

Hope you all enjoyed!  As always, new hat next week!

G.

No comments: